The Goa International Airport is located at Dabolim, 4 kilometers from Vasco da Gama. Presently, this is the only airport in Goa for both domestic and international tourists. However, a new airport is being built at Mopa in north Goa, which is expected to be commissioned in 2020. The Dabolim airport is both a civil and military airbase. INS Hansa, the Indian naval air station is based here, providing aerial defense to the western and southern parts of the country.
Dabolim Airport Map & Location
It is also the 10th busiest airport in India by passenger traffic. 7,607,249 passengers moved through the airport in 2017-18, connected by 50,567 aircrafts. Air India, Air Asia, Jet Airways, Indigo, Spicejet, GoAir, Finnair, Qatar Airways, Oman Airways, and Air Arabia are some of the airlines that reach here. There has been an 11% increase in passenger movement over the previous year. Thomas Cook Airlines and TUI Airways are seasonal, operating during the peak tourist season in Goa. The Dabolim airport also handled 4,372 tons of cargo.
Goa is one of India’s most popular tourist destinations. It is also a port city, and there are many industries and businesses as well. It is also a base for the Indian Air Force. This makes Dabolim one of the busiest airports in India. Passenger and cargo traffic is expected to keep growing in the next few years.
Dabolim Airport – Quick Facts
The Goa international airport is located at Dabolim, 4 kilometers from Vasco da Gama. It is located on the outskirts of the city.
There are two terminals – domestic and international. A new, modern terminal was opened in March 2014.
The Dabolim airport is India’s 10th busiest by passenger movement. New Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport is the busiest with 65,691,662 passenger movements.
Passenger traffic 2017-18 - 7,607,249
Cargo handled — 4,372 tons
Base of INS Hansa – Indian Air Force
Passenger flights in 2017-18 – 50,567
Managed by – Airports Authority of India
IATA Code – GOI
Seasonal airline companies – Thomas Cook Airlines and TUI Airways
Cargo – Blue Dart Aviation, FedEx Express
Airline companies in Dabolim – Air India, Air Asia, Jet Airways, Indigo, Spicejet, GoAir, Finnair, Qatar Airways, Oman Airways, Air Arabia, Vistara, TruJet, Azur Air Ukraine, Alliance Air
New airport under construction at Mopa in north Goa, which is 50 kms from Dabolim. Once completed this is be much larger in size and will only handle passengers and cargo. Dabolim will be left to the Indian Air Force.
Dabolim Airport Goa
Distance From Major Places In Goa
- Vasco da Gama – 4 kilometers
- Panaji – 27.7 kilometers
- Margao – 28 kilometers
- Baga beach – 41.8 kilometers
- Colva beach – 23.4 kilometers
- Arambol beach – 59.2 kilometers
- Palolem beach – 62.7 kilometers
- Dudhsagar waterfalls – 70.1 kilometers
The Two Terminals, Future Plans
There are 2 terminals in the airport. Terminal 1 handles domestic flights, while all international flights land and take off from the Terminal 2. The domestic terminal covers an area of 21,527 square feet and was built in 1983. The international terminal of 10,763 square feet came up in 1996.
But the facilities are services are limited because it also serves the Indian air force. For instance, you have to stand in queue twice for checking your personal belongings like mobile, and wallet, and then again for body checking, which takes time. So there is a big queue, and sometimes confusion. In most other airports in India and around the world, the two can be done in a single counter.
Dabolim is India’s 10th busiest airport, so it can be slow at times. Make sure that you reach the airport at least two hours before your flight time.
The new airport coming up at Mopa in north Goa will have 666,900ft square feet. It would be able to handle 2,750 passengers every hour or 4 million per year. There will be 5 passenger boarding bridges, in-line baggage scanning systems, parallel taxiways, and separate terminals for cargo. It is expected to be opened in 2020. Once open, Dabolim is likely to be used mostly by Indian Air Force.
Infrastructure at the Dabolim Airport
- There are currency exchange counters at both the terminals.
- ATM of Axis Bank and State Bank of India are located between the two terminals.
- There are shops selling clothes, books and chocolates
- There are counters selling food. But most food stalls sell only snacks and coffee. It may be difficult to find meals there.
- There are duty free shops in the international terminal.
- Baby care facilities and medical care services are both available.
- However, there is no locker facility for travelers.
- There is a spa in the airport.
- Rest zones and showers are not available.
- You will find mobile charging spots.
- No free Internet access. Wi-Fi is only via Tata Indicom.
- There is an information desk both in the international and domestic terminals.
- There is a pre-paid taxi booking counter in the arrival hall.
- Smoking area in both the terminals.
- There is airport bus service that will take you to the terminal.
- You have to pass through customs control.
- Fill out and submit the Arrival card in customs.
- There is one luggage claim area. It has two carousels.
- Luggage-carts and trolleys are available.
- It is best to avoid currency exchange at the airport. You will get better rates elsewhere in Goa.
- There is a pre-paid taxi booth in the exit area. Taxis can take you to anywhere in Goa. The prices are government approved and not negotiable.
- Closest railway station – Dabolim. It is just 1.3 kilometers from the airport.
- Only passengers with a valid ticket are allowed into the terminal after checking. For international flights, you have to reach 4 hours before your flight time. It is 2 hours for domestic flights.
- You have to pass through security and customs control.
- Check-in is performed according to a carrier, not by flight number.
- You have to submit the filled out Departure card in customs.
- It is highly recommended that you pack your luggage. Luggage wrapping machine is located in the international departures hall. Luggage-carts are to be used before check-in. There is no luggage compartment.
- The airport has limited food counters. There is a cafe and the snack vending machine in the international hall.
Rate this article:
Rated 5 / 5 based on 1 reviews.